What is Non-Immigrant Visa?

(1) What is a non-immigrant visa?

There are two main categories of the U.S. visa: non-immigrant and immigrant visas. Non-immigrant visa is issued to an alien who has an intention of staying for a certain period of time in the U.S. and there are many types of non-immigrant visas due to various reasons for entering U.S. Immigrant visa is the type of visa an alien who wishes to permanently reside in the U.S. applies for, and is also known as a ‘Green Card.

(2) Types of non-immigrant visa

Under the Visa Waiver Program, Korean citizens can enter the U.S. without a visa but only for 90 days or less. Therefore, in order for an alien to stay more than 90 days in the U.S., it is necessary to obtain a visa.

  • A Foreign diplomat or government official
  • B-1 Temporary visitor for business (maximum stay of 3 months)
  • B-2 Temporary visitor for pleasure (maximum stay of 6 months)
  • C Aliens in Transit
  • D Crewmember of ship or aircraft
  • E-1 Treaty trader
  • E-2 Treaty investor
  • F Academic Student
  • G Foreign government officials to International organizations
  • H-1B Occupational visa
  • H-1C Nurses going to work in health professional shortage areas
  • H-2A Temporary agricultural worker visa
  • H-3 Trainee
  • I Foreign media representative/journalist
  • J-1 Exchange visitors- professor, scholar, teacher
  • K-1/K-2 Fiance/fiancee of US Citizen
  • K-3/K-4 Spouse of US Citizen
  • L-1A Intracompany transferee- executive or managerial
  • L-1B Intracompany transferee- specialized knowledge
  • M-1 Vocational student
  • O-1 Aliens of extraordinary ability
  • P-1 Athletes and group entertainers’ visa
  • Q Cultural exchange visitor
  • R-1/R-2 Religious worker
  • S Witness or Informant
  • TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA
  • U Crime victim visa